Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snarky


Do you ever read over an email or a letter and change your voice or the inflections of your words so that the entire tone of the correspondence changes? For example does this sentence sound snarky to you- like something a rich kid from New England with a go-cart track in his backyard would say now that he is "roughing it" as an artist in the Lower East Side?


"I have an impeccable work ethic, a healthy tolerance for cocktails, and a rotating wardrobe of beat-up vintage Levi’s, all of which I’d like to someday display for you."


It's like I look at it and I see Rob Lowe in Saint Elmos Fire. But it's me. It's meant to be mildly entertaining. Or am I crazy for changing the voice in my head when I read? Strange that I just finished a novel about a guy who has "funny schizophrenia."

No comments:

Post a Comment